Crew tops Real Salt Lake 2-0 Saturday at Crew Stadium
The Columbus Crew put together a complete performance in a comprehensive 2-0 win over Real Salt Lake Saturday at Crew Stadium. The Crew (6-5-4) is now 4-1-3 in its last eight games.
The Crew took a two-goal halftime lead thanks to Tony Tchani in the 16th minute and Eddie Gaven in the 44th en route to a big victory in front of a season-high crowd of 19,674. Tchani converted a cutback pass from Emilio Renteria after Renteria took a long outlet from Sebastian Miranda on the left side of the penalty area. He slipped upon receiving the ball but regained his balance to dribble past RSL's Chris Wingert toward the end line.
That’s when Tchani ran toward the 12-yard spot and cleanly slotted the service for his second goal of the season, having also scored in the last match in Chicago.
RSL’s first scoring chance came off a free kick when Javier Morales sent a header toward goal only to see Andy Gruenebaum make the stop in the 36th minute. They would register only two shots on target for the entire match.
Gaven doubled the home team's advantage off a corner kick. Josh Williams settled the service by Chris Birchall and the defender earned his first assist in his 12th MLS game by setting up Gaven at the top of the goal box for a left-footed shot that struck the underside of the crossbar and continued over the line. Gaven leads the team with four goals.
The match was moved back an hour because the violent storms that ripped through central Ohio on Friday caused a loss of power at Crew Stadium until late Saturday afternoon.
· The Crew is now 6-5-4 on the season and 4-2-1 at home.
· Tony Tchani recorded his second goal in as many games and the fourth of his career.
· Eddie Gaven scored his fourth goal of the season and 30th as a member of the Crew.
· Josh Williams recorded his first career assist.
· Emilio Renteria’s assist was his second of the season and fifth of his MLS career.
· The Crew was without defenders Chad Marshall (concussion), Rich Balchan (sports hernia) and Carlos Mendes (ankle), and midfielders, Dilly Duka (hamstring) and Kirk Urso (groin).
· Danny O’Rourke, who returned to the starting lineup after injuring his ankle on May 24 at Seattle, served as captain in Marshall’s absence.
· RSL was missing captain Kyle Beckerman because of caution points accumulation as well as defender Jamison Olave (calf strain) and midfielder Ned Grabavoy (adductor strain).
· The Crew travels to Montreal, Quebec, to face the Impact on Sunday, July 8 at 7:30 p.m. at Stade Saputo.
Columbus Crew 2, Real Salt Lake 0
Saturday, June 30, 2012 – Crew Stadium
CLB – Tony Tchani (Emilio Renteria) 16
CLB – Eddie Gaven (Josh Williams) 44
CLB – Nemanja Vukovic (caution) 38
RSL – Fabian Espindola (caution) 57
RSL – Jonny Steele (caution) 66
CLB – Kevan George (caution) 82
Columbus Crew – Andy Gruenebaum; Sebastian Miranda, Julius James, Josh Williams, Nemanja Vukovic; Chris Birchall, Tony Tchani (Kevan George, 70), Danny O’Rourke, Eddie Gaven; Aaron Schoenfeld (Milovan Mirosevic, 52), Emilio Renteria, (Justin Meram, 79)
Substitutes not used: Matt Lampson, Eric Gehrig, Bernardo Anor, Olman Vargas
Real Salt Lake – Nick Rimando, Tony Beltran, Nat Borchers, Chris Wingert, Terakazu Tanaka (Luis Gil, 53), Yordany Alvarez, Will Johnson, Jonny Steele, Javier Morales, Fabian Espindola (Paulo Jr., 63), Alvaro Saborio (Emiliano Bonfigli, 61)
Substitutes not used: Kyle Reynish, Kwame Watson-Siriboe, Kenny Mansally, Sebastian Velasquez
Referee: Jorge Gonzalez
Assistants: Daniel Belleau, Matthew Nelson
Fourth Official: Sorin Stoica
Weather: Cloudy and 85 degrees