Eastern Conference Roundup: The Race is On
The Crew moved up two spots in the Eastern Conference standings following its win in Dallas and draws between the Chicago Fire and Montreal Impact and the New England Revolution and Houston Dynamo.
Here is how the Eastern Conference table looks as the playoff race heats up.
1. New York Red Bulls - 52 pts. - Week 31: 1-1 Draw at Seattle Sounders FC
Without Thierry Henry and Jamíson Olave, the Red Bulls extended their lead atop the as Tim Cahill netted a 76th-minute equalizer to earn a point at Seattle. New York returns to Red Bull Arena to face the New England Revolution in Week 32.
2. Sporting Kansas City - 48 pts. - Week 31: 1-0 Loss vs. Philadelphia Union
Though many didn't expect Friday night's match against the Philadelphia Union to be a trap game for Sporting, the visitors came left the victors as Conor Casey's first-half tally was enough to upset Kansas City. Peter Vermes' side will look to rebound on the road this week against the Columbus Crew.
3. Montreal Impact - 46 pts. - Week 31: 2-2 Draw at Chicago Fire
Thanks to Chicago's finishing woes in front of net, the Impact snapped a two-match skid as Maxim Tissot netted the game-tying goal in the 87th minute to help Montreal to the road point. The Impact travels to Houston this week.
4. Houston Dynamo - 44 pts. - Week 31: 1-1 Draw at New England Revolution
Will Bruin rescued the Dynamo in New England with a 76th-minute equalizer to stay in fourth place in the Eastern Conference. Houston can move up to third place with a win at home over Montreal in Week 32.
5. Philadelphia Union - 42 pts. - Week 31: 1-0 Win at Sporting Kansas City
Back in the playoff picture after back-to-back losses and a week off, Conor Casey's 36th-minute goal helped the Union to a hard-fought, yet surprising, result at Sporting Park. Philadelphia is the master of its own face as it hosts Toronto FC this week and travels to D.C. United next week.
6. Columbus Crew - 41 pts. - Week 31: 4-2 Win at FC Dallas
In nothing short of a must-win match, the Crew responded with four goals in a road win at FC Dallas to shoot up two spots in the standings. The Black & Gold will face a stiff test at home against Sporting Kansas City this week (TICKETS).
7. New England Revolution - 41 pts. - Week 31: 1-1 Draw vs. Houston Dynamo
In a fairly even match, the Revolution was unable to get the win at home against the Houston Dynamo despite Saer Sene's 64th-minute tally. New England travels south down I-95 to face the New York Red Bulls in Week 32.
8. Chicago Fire - 40 pts. - Week 31: 2-2 Draw vs. Montreal Impact
The Fire lamented its inability to capitalize on chances in front of net, including a missed Mike Magee penalty, as the Men in Red conceded a late equalizer at home to the Montreal Impact. Chicago looks to rebound at home against D.C. United on Friday.
9. Toronto FC - 26 pts. - Week 31: 4-1 Win vs. D.C. United
Toronto FC exploded for four goals against bottom-of-the-table D.C. United as the Reds picked up three points at home. Toronto travels to Philadelphia this week.
10. D.C. United - 15 pts. - Week 31: 4-1 Loss at Toronto FC
Perhaps United's focus was more on Tuesday's U.S. Open Cup Final against Real Salt Lake as the Black-and-Red fell 4-1 on the road to Toronto FC. Following Tuesday's final, D.C. travels to Chicago to face the Fire.