- Forward Gyasi Zardes recorded his first two goals of the 2019 regular season during today’s match against the New England Revolution. Zardes’ first goal was a header that came in the 26th minute after getting on the end of a cross from midfielder Pedro Santos. The forward made it a brace in the sixth minute of second-half stoppage time, as he received a low cross from midfielder Hector Jimenez which he then put past New England goalkeeper Brad Knighton. With the two strikes in today’s match Zardes has now scored 21 regular-season goals in 35 regular-season appearances (all starts) for Crew SC.
- Gyasi Zardes’ brace against the New England Revolution in today’s match marked the fifth time that the forward had scored at least two goals in a single match since joining the Crew. In 2018, his first year with the Black & Gold, Zardes registered braces against the Montreal Impact (March 10), Chicago Fire (May 12), Orlando City SC (July 21) and one hat trick against Minnesota United FC (October 28).
- Zack Steffen recorded his 20th regular-season shutout during today’s 2-0 win over the New England Revolution. The goalkeeper made three saves against the Revs – including saving a penalty kick attempt taken by Diego Fagundez – en route to earning his first clean sheet of the 2019 MLS regular season. Steffen’s penalty kick save was his his first regular-season penalty kick save since saving an attempt taken by New York City FC’s David Villa at Citi Field (October 22, 2017). Steffen also managed to get on the scoresheet, as he provided a secondary assist on Gyasi Zardes’ goal in second-half stoppage time. The assist was Steffen’s second helper since joining the Black & Gold, as he had previously been awarded a secondary assist during a home match against the Montreal Impact (June 24, 2017).
- Midfielder Pedro Santos recorded the game-winning assist in today’s road contest against the New England Revolution, as he provided the cross on Gyasi Zardes’ 26th-minute goal. The helper was Santos’ first assist of the 2019 regular season, as well as his 10th all-time regular-season assist for the Black & Gold. Since joining the Crew, Santos has made 41 regular-season appearances (39 starts), while scoring one goal to go with his 10 assists.
- Midfielder Hector Jimenez made his 2019 regular-season debut in today’s match, coming in as a substitute for Pedro Santos in the third minute of second half stoppage time. Jimenez made an immediate impact, as he provided the assist on Gyasi Zardes’ second goal of the day just three minutes after taking to the field, helping the Black & Gold to a 2-0 victory. This was Jimenez’s 15th assist in 103 regular-season appearances (67 starts) for the Black & Gold. Additionally, the helper was Jimenez’s 21st assist since joining MLS in 2011.
- Today’s contest marked Crew SC’s 73rd all-time regular-season contest against the New England Revolution dating back to 1996. Over that span, Columbus has compiled an overall winning record of 37-23-13 against the Revs. The Crew has an overall regular-season road record of 17-15-6 against New England. Today’s Crew SC victory marked the first time the Revs have lost a regular-season home opening match since May 21, 2017.
- Crew SC has won five of its last seven regular-season meetings against the New England Revolution dating back to August 20, 2016. Over that span, the Black & Gold have posted a record of 5-1-1, keeping a clean sheet in each win. Columbus last lost to New England in regular-season action on May 21, 2017.
- With the win against the New England Revolution in today’s match, Crew SC’s 2019 regular-season record is now 1-0-1 (4 points). Next up, Crew SC return to MAPFRE Stadium for a home contest against FC Dallas on Saturday, March 16 [2:00 p.m. ET / FOX Sports Ohio, FOX Sports GO (Stream) / 97.1 The Fan & 971thefan.com (English) / ColumbusCrewSC.com (Spanish)]