Despite controlling play for the game's majority, an 84th-minute goal lifted Orlando City SC (6-9-4, 22 pts.) to a 1-0 win over Columbus Crew SC (5-14-2, 17 pts.) on Saturday, July 13 at Exploria Stadium.
The Black & Gold controlled most of the play in the first half as they tallied six shots to Orlando's one and maintained 56 percent of the possession. Columbus' closest chance came in the fifth minute of play when Gyasi Zardes struck a pass one-time from Pedro Santos, which clanged off the crossbar.
Crew SC continued to control play in the second half with five shots to Orlando's three and maintained 57 percent of the possession. The Lions scored the game-winner in the 84th minute on their only shot on-frame, when Ruan slotted the ball across to Benji Michel, who placed the ball inside the near post.
Regardless, the Black & Gold continued to fight as defender Harrison Afful nearly equalized in the 88th minute.
Notably, in second-half stoppage time, Orlando went down to 10 players after Dom Dwyer received a red card for elbowing Josh Williams.
Up next, Crew SC continues on the road when they take on the Chicago Fire on Wednesday, July 17 at SeatGeek Stadium at 8 p.m. ET.
Supporters can watch the match on FOX Sports Ohio, stream on FOX Sports GO, or listen on 97.1 FM The Fan or www.ColumbusCrewSC.com (English & Spanish).
Goal Scoring Rundown:
ORL - Benji Michel (Ruan, Lamine Sané), 84th minute: Michel places a slotted ball from Ruan inside the near post. CLB 0, ORL 1 | FINAL
Columbus Crew SC
Orlando CIty SC
- With his appearance in tonight’s contest, goalkeeper Joe Bendik recorded his 175th MLS regular-season appearance (172 starts). Bendik joined Crew SC ahead the 2019 season and has made five regular-season appearances (all starts) for the Black & Gold. Since joining Major League Soccer in 2012, Bendik has recorded 554 saves and 22 shutouts.
- Gyasi Zardes and Wil Trapp returned to the starting XI for the Black & Gold during tonight’s road contest against Orlando City SC following their time with the U.S. Men’s National Team during the 2019 Concacaf Gold Cup. Zardes played the entire 90 minutes and recorded four shots. Since joining Crew SC ahead of the 2018 season, Zardes has made 49 starts regular-season starts (49 appearances), recording 25 goals and providing one assist. Trapp played 90 minutes, attempted 65 passes and finished with a passing percentage of 87.7. In 2019, Trapp has made 16 regular-season appearances (16 starts). To date, Trapp has made 173 regular-season appearances (169 starts), recording two goals and providing 16 assists.
- Defender Josh Williams finished the night with 79 touches and attempted 70 passes - more than any other player for Crew SC. Williams played the entire 90 minutes, registering three tackles and had a passing percentage of 90. In 2019, Williams has made 11 regular-season appearances (10 starts). The defender originally played for Crew SC from 2010-2014 before rejoining the Black & Gold prior to the start of the 2017 season. To date, Williams has made 125 regular-season appearances (110 starts) for the Crew, scoring eight goals and recording four assists.
- Midfielder Artur finished tonight’s road contest against Orlando City SC with a passing percentage of 95.7- higher than any other player in Black & Gold. Artur attempted 46 passes, 58 touches, one shot and one interception. Since joining Crew SC ahead of the 2017 regular-season, Artur has made 74 regular-season appearances (67 starts) and recording five assists.
- With the 1-0 loss against Orlando City SC in tonight’s match, Crew SC’s 2019 regular-season record is now 5-14-2 (17 points). Next up, Crew SC has a road contest against the Chicago Fire at SeatGeek Stadium on Wednesday, July 17 (8:00 p.m. ET / Fox Sports Ohio, FOX Sports GO / 97.1 The Fan and streaming online via the “Listen Live” button at 971TheFan.com / Spanish audio stream on ColumbusCrewSC.com).