1. D.C. United — 47 pts. | 0-0 draw at Vancouver Whitecaps FC; Week 27: at New York Red Bulls
The Black-and-Red have opened up a 0.24 points-per-game lead on second-place Sporting KC, which is slightly larger than the gap between second and seventh in the Eastern Conference.
2. Sporting Kansas City — 42 pts. | 3-1 loss at New England Revolution, 2-1 loss at New York Red Bulls; Week 27: at Chivas USA
The defending champions have lost four straight and are 1-5-1 over their last seven. The club has conceded multiple goals in each of those five losses and has not kept a clean sheet since late June overall.
3. New England Revolution — 39 pts. | 3-1 win vs. Sporting Kansas City, 2-1 win vs. Chicago Fire; Week 27: vs. Montreal Impact
The shake-up in the Eastern Conference has been a remarkable story, with clubs like Sporting KC and Toronto FC sliding while clubs like New England, Columbus and Philadelphia surge. The Revs have won four in a row.
4. Columbus Crew — 36 pts. | 3-0 win vs. Chivas USA; Week 27: at Houston Dynamo
The Black & Gold have seven straight Eastern Conference matches to close out the season. Five of those seven matches are against the clubs ranked third, fifth and sixth on this list. Think this is going to be an exciting finish?
5. Philadelphia Union — 36 pts. | 1-0 win vs. Toronto FC, 2-0 win at Toronto FC; Week 27: vs. New York Red Bulls
A doubleheader sweep of Toronto FC propelled the Union to a tie for fourth. The Crew has the edge on Philadelphia thanks to a better goal differential. Every goal matters!
6. New York Red Bulls — 34 pts. | 2-1 win vs. Sporting Kansas City; Week 27: vs. D.C. United, at Philadelphia Union
The Red Bulls got a big win over Sporting Kansas City, but the club might need to be more consistent in order to secure a playoff spot. New York has alternated wins and losses over its last five clashes.
7. Toronto FC — 33 pts. | 1-0 loss at Philadelphia Union, 2-0 loss vs. Philadelphia Union; Week 27: at Chicago Fire
Toronto FC's fall has been a shocking development in the Eastern Conference. The Reds are 0-4-1 over their last five contests.
8. Houston Dynamo — 31 pts. | 3-2 win vs. Montreal Impact; Week 27: vs. Columbus Crew
The Dynamo is 4-2-1 over its last seven matches. If it can shore up its defense, Houston could make a serious run over the final two months of the season.
9. Chicago Fire — 29 pts. | 2-1 loss at New England Revolution; Week 27: vs. Toronto FC
Logan Pause decided to retire at the end of this season, his 12th with the Fire.
10. Montreal Impact —20 pts. | 3-2 loss at Houston Dynamo; Week 27: vs. LA Galaxy, at New England Revolution
Another goal for Ignacio Piatti, who has three in his first four MLS matches.