COLUMBUS, Ohio — After a hefty rain delay and an abbreviated match, Columbus Crew SC added another victory to its tally in international friendlies. Crew SC defeated Deportivo Saprissa 2-0, with the final whistle coming after 11 p.m. ET.
The first half saw plenty of scoring chances from Columbus. In the 28th minute, Eduardo Sosa took a ball down the field and crossed to an open Gyasi Zardes. Zardes breezed by Saprissa’s goalkeeper to place the ball into the back of an empty net.
Defender Josh Williams scored the game-sealing goal for Crew SC in the 34th minute. Pedro Santos sent in a corner straight to Williams who headed it into the back of the net. Saprissa was unable to respond, giving Columbus the win.
Columbus out-shot Saprissa 10-5, with six shots on goal. With the win, Crew SC now holds a 2-1-2 all-time record against Deportivo Saprissa and a 13-6-3 record in international friendlies at home.
Crew SC returns to MLS action on Saturday, July 7 as it travels to StubHub Center to face LA Galaxy in a 10:30 p.m. ET kickoff.
- Forward Edward Opoku made his first club start across all competitions in tonight’s international friendly against Deportivo Saprissa. He had previously made a substitute appearance in a Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Fourth Round match against the Chicago Fire at MAPFRE Stadium on June 6.
- Forward Gyasi Zardes scored the opening goal for Crew SC in tonight’s 2-0 win over Deportivo Saprissa. The forward scored in the 28th minute of the match after receiving a through ball from midfielder Eduardo Sosa.
- Defender Josh Williams scored Crew SC’s second goal of the evening against Deportivo Saprissa, as he headed in a cross from midfielder Pedro Santos in the 34th minute of the contest.
- The start of tonight’s international friendly match against Deportivo Saprissa was delayed due to inclement weather in Central Ohio. After the delay, both teams then agreed to two 30-minute halves for the exhibition. With the win, Crew SC moves its all-time record in international friendlies at home to 13-6-3 dating back to 1997.
- With the 2-0 win in tonight’s international friendly against Deportivo Saprissa, Crew SC now has an all-time record of 4-1-0 against CONCACAF opponents in international friendlies at home. The Black & Gold first hosted a CONCACAF side in an international friendly on June 26, 2002, losing 2-1 against Mexican side Tigres UANL Since then, Crew SC has won all four of its subsequent friendlies against CONCACAF sides at home, having also defeated CSD Municipal of Guatemala 2-0 (November 8, 2006), Tecos UAG of Mexico (November 3, 2007) and Tiburones Rojos de Veracruz 1-0 (May 11, 2016).
- Up next for Crew SC is a road contest against the LA Galaxy at StubHub Center on Saturday, July 7 at 10:30 p.m. ET (CW Columbus, Spectrum Sports, BCSN2, CD102.5 FM (English), ColumbusCrewSC.com [Spanish], English radio broadcast also simulcast on ColumbusCrewSC.com).