LOS ANGELES — Columbus Crew SC stood competitive throughout the full 90 minutes but succumbed to a hot Los Angeles Galaxy offensive front as Columbus fell 4-0 to the home side on Saturday evening at StubHub Center in Carson, Calif.
Crew SC outshot LA 20-14 and held a nearly 60-40 advantage in the possession game while each side totaled five shots on target. The Galaxy’s Ola Kamara scored the game-winner in the 42nd minute from close range before Zlatan Ibrahimovic doubled the advantage from the penalty spot in the 56th.
Romain Alessandrini tallied a brace in the 67th and 93rd minutes to cap off the game’s scoring. Columbus maintained solid possession, including an 86.5 percentage total on passing accuracy. Defender Harrison Afful totaled a game-high five chances created – all coming in the first half – and captain Wil Trapp recorded game highs in touches (86) and total passes (75).
Up next, Crew SC turns it attention eastbound as the club travels to New York City FC on Saturday, July 14 for a 7:00 p.m. ET kickoff before returning home to take on Orlando City SC on July 21 at 7:30 p.m. ET at MAPFRE Stadium.
- Harrison Afful created five goal-scoring chances in tonight’s match against the LA Galaxy, more than any other player for either team. In addition, the Ghanaian had 66 touches and attempted 55 passes, finishing with 87.8% passing accuracy which was second among Crew SC defenders behind Josh Williams (93.3%). Afful joined Crew SC in 2015, and he has made 82 MLS regular-season appearance (79 starts), scoring four goals (one this season) and providing eight assists (two this season).
- Wil Trapp led both Crew SC and the LA Galaxy in touches (86) and passes (75) during tonight’s match. Additionally, Trapp finished the match with an 88% passing accuracy. In 2018, the Black & Gold captain has made 16 MLS regular-season appearances (all starts). Trapp joined Crew SC in 2013, and he has made 143 MLS regular-season appearances (140 starts) while scoring one goal and providing 14 assists.
- With his start against the LA Galaxy, Pedro Santos has now made 25 MLS regular-season appearances for Crew SC. Tonight, he played 45 minutes, had 33 touches and took two shots (one on target). Since joining Crew SC in 2017, Santos has made 24 regular-season starts, scoring one goal (this season) and providing six assists (four this season).
- Niko Hansen made his 25th MLS regular-season appearance in tonight’s match against the LA Galaxy as he came on as a substitute for Pedro Santos in the 46th minute. Hansen had 18 touches, created one goal-scoring chance and had two shots. Since joining Crew SC in 2017, Hansen has made eight regular-season starts, scoring one goal and providing three assists (one this season).
- Next up, Crew SC travels to the East Coast to face New York City FC at Yankee Stadium on Saturday, July 14 (7:00 p.m. ET / CW Columbus, Spectrum Sports, BCSN2, CD102.5 FM, English and Spanish audio broadcasts available on ColumbusCrewSC.com).