COLUMBUS, Ohio — Columbus Crew SC midfielder Wil Trapp sent a streaker into the upper-90 in the dying seconds and forward Gyasi Zardes notched his third brace of the season to help the Black & Gold (9-7-6) clinch a 3-2 victory over Orlando City SC on Saturday night as part of Military Appreciation Night.
Orlando (7-12-1), however, struck first after opening the scoring in the 16th minute on a tally from Sacha Kljestan. Columbus responded with multiple opportunities from the flanks but did not find an equalizer until the second half.
The Black & Gold’s newest addition, Patrick Mullins, made his Crew SC debut in the 68th minute, coming on for Hansen. Mullins immediately made his presence known, creating a scoring chance with a shot on goal shortly after entering the game. In the 86th minute, Mullins was fouled inside the penalty box. Zardes stepped up to the penalty line and scored yet another equalizer for Columbus and his 13th goal of the season.
Tied with a minute left of stoppage time, midfielder Pedro Santos kicked a short corner into Mike Grella who found an open Trapp at the start of the attacking third. With his head over the ball after a control touch, Trapp ripped a perfectly placed ball 35-yards to the back of the net to secure his first goal of the season and the 3-2 win for Crew SC.
Notably, Trapp's goal marked his first career goal at MAPFRE Stadium. Columbus out-passed and out-possessed Orlando by 87 and 57 percent, respectively, while outshooting the Lions by a 15-9 margin. Additionally, the Black & Gold recorded 17 total corners compared to zero from Orlando.
Mullin's debut was joined by Edward Opoku's first Major League Soccer appearance after subbing on with 22 minutes remaining.
Next up, the Black & Gold head east to face the New York Red Bulls on Saturday, July 28 at 7 p.m. ET before returning home to host the Houston Dynamo on Saturday, August 11 at 7:30 p.m. ET.
- Gyasi Zardes recorded a brace in tonight’s match against Orlando City SC. In the 51st minute, he received a cross from Niko Hansen in the penalty box and sent the ball off the left post into the corner of the net past Orlando City SC goalkeeper Joe Bendik to pull Crew SC even at 1-1. Later, he scored a penalty kick in the 88th minute to pull the Black & Gold even at 2-2. The second goal marks the striker’s third penalty-kick conversion this season. In addition, this is Zardes’ third brace of his 2018 MLS campaign. He previously recorded a brace against the Montreal Impact (March 10) and against the Chicago Fire (May 12). In 2018, Zardes has scored 13 goals for the Black & Gold in 22 MLS regular-season appearances (all starts).
- Wil Trapp scored the game-winning goal in the 90+2 minute in tonight’s match against Orlando City SC. He received a pass from midfielder Mike Grella and fired a strike from well outside the penalty box into the top right corner to secure a 3-2 victory for the Black & Gold. The strike was Trapp’s second career regular-season goal and first tally since a road match against the Houston Dynamo on September 13, 2014. The goal tonight was his first career game-winning goal.
- Niko Hansen recorded an assist in tonight’s match against Orlando City SC. The assist came on Gyasi Zardes’ 51st-minute goal as the midfielder sent a cross through the box that Zardes sent off the left goal post into the back of the net. The assist marks Hansen’s second helper of the year. The first came in a 3-0 home victory against the Chicago Fire on May 12. Since joining Crew SC, Hansen has made 27 regular-season appearances (10 starts), and has tallied one goal and four assists.
- Harrison Afful recorded an assist in tonight’s match against Orlando City SC. The assist came on Gyasi Zardes’ 51st-minute goal as the Ghanaian defender sent a through ball to Niko Hansen who provided a cross to Zardes. The assist marks Afful’s third helper of the year. With three assists, Afful now matches his highest assist output in a single season along with his 2016 MLS campaign. Since joining Crew SC in 2015, he has made 84 MLS regular-season appearances (81 starts), recording four goals and nine assists.
- Mike Grella recorded the game-winning assist in tonight’s match against Orlando City SC. The assist came on Wil Trapp’s 90+2-minute goal from well outside the penalty box. The pass marks Grella’s first career assist with Crew SC. This season, he has made 10 appearances (four starts) and provided a game-winning goal and a game-winning assist. Since making his MLS debut in 2015 with the New York Red Bulls, Grella has made 83 MLS regular-season appearances (65 starts), recording 17 goals and 13 assists.
- Patrick Mullins made his Crew SC debut in tonight’s match against Orlando City SC. Crew SC acquired Mullins from D.C. United in a trade on July 11, 2018. The striker made 10 appearances (two starts) and recorded one assist while with D.C. United. Since making his MLS debut in 2014, Mullins has made 97 MLS regular-season appearances (53 starts), scoring 23 goals and providing nine assists.
- Edward Opoku made his MLS regular-season debut in tonight’s match against Orlando City SC. Opoku previously appeared in a 2018 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Fourth Round match against the Chicago Fire (June 6), and in an international friendly against Costan Rican side Deportivo Saprissa (July 3). Tonight, he played 22 minutes and made 10 touches, four passes and put a shot on goal.
- With tonight's 3-2 victory against Orlando City SC, Crew SC extends their home-unbeaten streak against the Lions to four matches, with a 3-0-1 all-time record in Columbus. In addition, the Black & Gold now hold a 5-1-3 record against Orlando City SC since their first meeting on April 18, 2015 at MAPFRE Stadium, having outscored their opponent 20-13 (10-4 at home).
- With tonight’s 3-2 victory, Crew SC’s record on the season moves to 9-7-6. Next up, Crew SC will take on the New York Red Bulls at Red Bull Arena on Saturday, July 28, at 7:00 p.m. ET.