With an opportunity to clinch a spot in the Audi 2018 MLS Cup Playoffs following D.C. United's 5-0 win over the Montreal Impact, Columbus Crew SC was left searching for that playoff-clinching tally as the Black & Gold left MAPFRE Stadium with a 0-0 draw against the Philadelphia Union on Saturday, Sept. 29.
Crew SC remains in the fourth place in Major League Soccer's Eastern Conference with 48 points while Philadelphia sits one point back in fifth. Meanwhile, the draw improves Crew SC's unbeaten streak at home to six straight. However, tonight's result ends a five-match home winning streak for Columbus.
In the first half, Philadelphia outshot Crew SC 6-4, though Columbus landed the game's only shot on target as threatening opportunities failed to materialize for either team in the opening 45 minutes.
Jonathan Mensah proved key on the defensive end early on after blocking an early opportunity from close-range, while Zack Steffen did not record a save through the game's entirety. With the result, Steffen's shutout total increases to 10, marking a single-season career-high for the 23-year-old.
Harrison Afful posted what was perhaps Crew SC's closest chance of the game with a 15-yard shot from the right side of the box in stoppage time of the second half, but a diving save from Andre Blake represented the game-saving stop.
On the day, the Union totaled 13 shots while Crew SC landed two of 11 shots on target. Columbus' notable high-crossing game fell short with only 11 from open play, while the Black & Gold maintained nearly 55 percent of the game's possession.
Up next, Columbus heads to Montreal to face the Impact on Saturday, Oct. 6 for a 3 p.m. ET kickoff at Stade Saputo. Crew SC's next home match takes place on Sunday, Oct. 28, against Minnesota United with kickoff slated for 4:30 p.m. ET.
- With his start in tonight’s match against the Philadelphia Union, Wil Trapp reached his 150th MLS regular-season appearance. Tonight, the captain made 75 touches, attempted 66 passes and created two goal-scoring chances. This season, Trapp has made 27 regular-season appearances (26 starts), tallying one goal and one assist. Since making his MLS debut for Crew SC in 2013, Trapp has made 154 regular-season appearances, scoring two goals and providing 15 assists.
- Zack Steffen recorded his 10th shutout of the 2018 MLS regular season in tonight’s 0-0 draw with the Philadelphia Union. The clean sheet marks a single-season MLS career high for Steffen, as he surpasses his previous single-season career high of nine clean sheets, which he achieved in 2017. This season, Steffen has tallied 55 saves and 11 wins. Since making his MLS debut in 2017, Steffen has made 60 regular-season appearances (all starts), registering 153 saves, 27 wins and 19 shutouts
- With tonight’s 0-0 draw with the Philadelphia Union, Crew SC extends their MLS regular-season home unbeaten streak to six games, dating back to a 2-1 win against Real Salt Lake on June 30. Along with the results against the Philadelphia Union and Real Salt Lake, Crew SC recorded wins against Orlando City SC (July 21), the Houston Dynamo (August 11), New York City FC (September 1) and the Colorado Rapids (September 22). Over the span of the 5-0-1 streak, Crew SC has outscored its opponents 10-5 at MAPFRE Stadium.
- Following tonight’s 0-0 draw, Crew SC finishes its 2018 regular season series against the Philadelphia Union with an undefeated record of 1-0-2. In addition to tonight’s result, the Black & Gold earned a 0-0 draw at Talen Energy Stadium on March 17 and a 1-0 victory at MAPFRE Stadium on May 9.
- With tonight’s 0-0 draw with the Philadelphia Union, Crew SC’s record on the season moves to 13-9-9. Next up, Crew SC will take on the Montreal Impact at Stade Saputo on Saturday, October 6 at 3:00 PM ET.