In what was a one-goal game through 87 minutes, Columbus Crew SC (5-7-1, 16 pts.) ultimately fell 3-0 to Los Angeles FC (7-1-3, 27 pts.) on Saturday, May 11 at MAPFRE Stadium.
League-leading LAFC first struck in the 38th minute when Latif Blessing played the ball through to Mark-Anthony Kaye, who placed the ball inside the far post for his third goal of the season. In the 40th minute, Crew SC goalkeeper Joe Bendik did well to keep the deficit at one when he deflected a point-blank shot from LAFC's Diego Rossi.
The Black & Gold almost leveled the game in the 59th minute when Pedro Santos struck the ball from the top of the six-yard-box, as LAFC's Tyler Miller made a diving snag to keep the ball out of the net.
LAFC doubled their lead, however, in the 88th minute after Adama Diomande capitalized on a communication error and followed up on Josh Perez's initial opportunity, which deflected off the crossbar into Diomande's striking range. In the 90th minute, Carlos Vela extended LAFC's lead to three after placing a left-footed curler into the upper-left corner from 20 yards out for his League-high 12th goal of the season.
Up next, Crew SC travels to the Twin Cities when they take on Minnesota United FC at Allianz Field on Saturday, May 18 at 8 p.m. ET.
Supporters can watch the match on SportsTime Ohio, stream on FOX Sports GO, or listen on 97.1 FM The Fan or www.ColumbusCrewSC.com (English & Spanish).
Goal Scoring Rundown:
LAFC- Mark-Anthony Kaye (Latif Blessing, Carlos Vela), 38th minute: Kaye places the ball to the far post after Blessing plays him through. CLB 0, LAFC 1
LAFC- Adama Diomande, 88th minute: Diomande follows up on a shot that hits the crossbar. CLB 0, LAFC 2
LAFC- Carlos Vela, 90th minute: Vela dribbles through and strikes the ball to the top-left corner. CLB 0, LAFC 3 | FINAL
Columbus Crew SC
- Midfielder David Guzman made his first regular-season start for Crew SC tonight’s home match against Los Angeles FC. Guzman recorded 65 touches, completed 52 passes and registered a passing percentage of 82.7. Since joining Major League Soccer in 2017, Guzman has made 46 appearances (40 starts) in regular-season action. In 2019, he has made two regular-season appearances (one start) since joining Crew SC.
- Midfielder David Accam made his Crew SC debut in tonight’s home match against Los Angeles FC. Accam came into the match as a substitute for Robinho in the 66th minute, completing one pass and registering a passing percentage of 100. The midfielder joined the Crew from the Philadelphia Union three days ago on May 8. Prior to joining the Black & Gold, Accam played for the Chicago Fire from 2015 – 2017 and the Philadelphia Union from 2018-2019. In all, Accam has made 110 regular-season appearances (83 starts), scoring 38 goals and providing 17 assists.
- During tonight's match against Los Angeles FC, Hector Jimenez had more tackles (six) than any other player on the field. In addition to leading both teams in tackles, Jimenez registered 68 touches and completed 44 passes. In 2019, Jimenez has made 12 regular-season appearances (nine starts), recording one goal and one assist. Since joining the Black & Gold ahead of the 2014 MLS season, Jimenez has made a total of 114 regular-season appearances (76 starts) for the Club, scoring two goals and providing 15 assists.
- Captain Wil Trapp attempted 61 passes during tonight’s match, more than any other player for Crew SC. Trapp finished with a passing accuracy percentage of 90.2. Additionally, the Captain registered 75 touches and made three tackles. In 2019, Trapp has made 12 regular-season appearances (all starts).
- Tonight’s contest marked Crew SC’s second all-time regular-season contest against Los Angeles Football Club. The match marked the first time LAFC visited MAPFRE Stadium.
- With the 3-0 loss against Los Angeles FC in tonight’s match, Crew SC’s 2019 regular-season record is now 5-7-1 (16 points). Next up, Crew SC has a road contest against Minnesota United FC at Allianz Field on Saturday, May 18 (8:00 p.m. ET / SportsTime Ohio, FOX Sports GO / 97.1 The Fan and streaming online via the “Listen Live” button at 971TheFan.com / Spanish audio stream on ColumbusCrewSC.com).