After coming back from two one-goal deficits, the Colorado Rapids (2-8-2, 8 pts.) capitalized on an 89th-minute goal to win 3-2 over Columbus Crew SC (5-9-1, 16 pts.) on Saturday, May 25 at Dick's Sporting Goods Park in Commerce City, Colo.
The Rapids struck first in the 23rd minute when Tommy Smith headed a corner from Jack Price inside the near post. Crew SC responded five minutes later when Wil Trapp served a ball to Hector Jimenez, who headed it across the box to Pedro Santos. Santos then dribbled the ball across the box and hit it inside of the left post for his third of the season. Notably, tonight's match was Santos' 50th regular-season start with Crew SC.
Colorado closed out the first half with a goal in the seventh minute of added time when Jonathan Lewis received a pass from Sam Nicholson before seeing his low-struck shot deflect inside the near post.
The Black & Gold leveled the match again in the 54th minute when Federico Higuain served a ball to the top of the six-yard box, as Gyasi Zardes redirected the delivery just past Colorado goalkeeper Tim Howard.
The match stayed tied until the 89th minute when Colorado's Nicolas Mezquida cleaned up a loose ball from a corner kick and tucked it in the top-left corner to give the Rapids their game-winner.
Notably, in tonight's match, Niko Hansen made his first start for the 2019 regular season.
Up next, Crew SC return home to take on New York City FC at MAPFRE Stadium on Saturday, June 1 at 7:30 p.m. ET.
Supporters can watch the match on SportsTime Ohio, stream on FOX Sports GO, or listen on 97.1 FM The Fan or www.ColumbusCrewSC.com (English & Spanish).
Goal Scoring Rundown:
COL - Tommy Smith (Jack Price), 23rd minute: Smith heads the ball down to the near post off of a corner from Price. CLB 0, COL 1
CLB - Pedro Santos (Hector Jimenez, Wil Trapp), 28th minute: Santos dribbles the ball to the center of the box and strikes it to the far post. CLB 1, COL 1
COL - Jonathan Lewis (Sam Nicholson), 45th + 7 minute: Lewis strikes the ball and it deflects to the near post. CLB 1, COL 2
CLB- Gyasi Zardes (Federico Higuain), 54th minute: Zardes redirects a serve from Higuain into the back of the net. CLB 2, COL 2
COL -Nicolas Mezquida, 89th minute: Mezquida strikes a loose ball to the top-left corner of the net. CLB 2, COL 3 | FINAL
Columbus Crew SC
- Midfielder Pedro Santos recorded his 50th regular-season start (53rd appearance) for Crew SC in tonight’s contest against the Colorado Rapids. Santos marked the occasion by scoring the Crew’s first goal in the 28th minute. In addition to scoring a goal – his third of the season – Santos played the entire 90 minutes, registering 53 touches and attempting 30 passes. In 2019, the midfielder has made 14 regular-season appearances (13 starts), while scoring three goals (one game-winning goal) and providing two assists (both game-winning assists). To date, Santos has scored four goals and recorded 11 assists since joining the Black & Gold in 2017.
- Midfielder Niko Hansen made his first start of the 2019 regular season during tonight’s road contest against the Colorado Rapids. Hansen played the entire 90 minutes, recording 67 touches, attempting 45 passes and finishing with a passing percentage of 93.3. In 2019, Hansen has made seven regular-season appearances (one start). To date, Hansen has made 43 regular-season appearances (15 starts), scoring four goals and providing five assists.
- Hector Jimenez recorded his second assist of the 2019 regular-season for the Black & Gold during tonight’s contest against the Colorado Rapids. Jimenez found Pedro Santos in the 28th minute of the contest, crossing the ball to Santos after receiving a through ball from Wil Trapp. Jimenez played 43 minutes, registering 30 touches and attempting 18 passes with a passing accuracy of 83.3 percent. In 2019, Jimenez has made 14 regular-season appearances (11 starts), while scoring on goal and providing two assists.
- Midfielder Wil Trapp recorded his first assist of the 2019 regular-season for Crew SC in tonight’s road contest against the Colorado Rapids. Trapp found Hector Jimenez who connected with Pedro Santos in the 28th minute. Trapp played the entire 90 minutes, making three tackles, registering 77 touches and attempting 69 passes while finishing the night with a passing percentage of 88.4. In 2019, Trapp has made 14 regular-season appearances (all starts).
- Forward Gyasi Zardes recorded his fifth goal of the 2019 regular season during tonight’s match against the Colorado Rapids. Zardes’ goal came in the 54th minute on a cross from Federico Higuain. With his strike in tonight’s match Zardes has now scored 24 regular-season goals and provided one assist in 44 regular-season appearances (all starts) since joining Crew SC ahead of the 2018 season.
- Federico Higuain registered his fifth assist of the 2019 regular season in tonight’s road contest against the Colorado Rapids. Higuain’s helper came in the 54th minute, when he crossed a ball to Gyasi Zardes, along Zardes to score Crew SC’s second goal of the evening. In addition to tallying his fifth assist of the season, the helper marked Higuain’s 63rd regular-season assist since joining the Black & Gold in 2012.
- Next up, Crew SC has a home contest against New York City FC at MAPFRE Stadium on Saturday, June 1 (7:30 p.m. ET / SportsTime Ohio, FOX Sports GO / 97.1 The Fan and streaming online via the “Listen Live” button at 971TheFan.com / Spanish audio stream on ColumbusCrewSC.com).