Early goals in each half from Josh Williams and David Accam lifted Columbus Crew SC (6-14-3, 21 pts.) to a 2-1 victory over the Montreal Impact (9-11-3, 30 pts.) on Saturday, July 20 at MAPFRE Stadium.
The Black & Gold opened up the scoring in the sixth minute when Williams headed a free-kick from Wil Trapp inside the near post. The goal marked Williams' second goal of the season, while Trapp recorded his second assist.
In his Crew SC and MLS debut, goalkeeper Eloy Room's lone save of the match came in the 18th minute when he dove to save a far-post free-kick from Daniel Lovitz.
Montreal responded in the second minute of first-half stoppage time when Zackaria Diallo headed down a corner kick from Saphir Taider.
To open up the second half, David Accam scored the game-winner in the 46th minute when midfielder Pedro Santos slipped a ball through to Accam, who finished far-post. Initially, the goal was ruled offside but Video Review overturned the call. Notably, the goal marked Accam's first regular-season tally for Columbus.
The Impact were forced to play with 10 men after Barcary Sagna denied an obvious goal-scoring opportunity from Accam in the 55th minute and received a red card. Homegrown defender Aboubacar Keita made his first home start for the Black & Gold.
Up next, Crew SC travels to Harrison, N.J. to take on the New York Red Bulls on Saturday, July 27 at Red Bulls Arena at 7:30 p.m. ET.
Supporters can watch the match on FOX Sports Ohio, stream on FOX Sports GO, or listen on 97.1 FM The Fan or www.ColumbusCrewSC.com (English & Spanish).
Goal Scoring Rundown:
CLB - Josh Williams (Wil Trapp), 6th minute: Willams head the ball to the near post off a freekick from Trapp. CLB 1, MTL 0
MTL - Zackaria Diallo (Saphir Taider), 45th +1 minute: Diallo heads the ball into the net off a corner from Taider. CLB 1, MTL 1
CLB - David Accam (Pedro Santos), 47th minute: Accam finishes a slotted ball from Santos to the far post. CLB 2, MTL 1 | FINAL
Columbus Crew SC
- Josh Williams recorded a goal in tonight’s home contest against the Montreal Impact. Williams’ goal came in the sixth minute when he headed in a free kick from Wil Trapp. The defender’s goal marked his second goal of the 2019 regular-season with his previous goal coming during a home contest against the New England Revolution on April 6. In 2019, Williams has made 12 regular-season appearances (11 starts) while registering two goals. To date, Williams has made 158 regular-season appearances (138 starts) registering nine goals and five assists.
- Wil Trapp provided the assist on Josh Williams’ sixth-minute goal during tonight’s home contest against the Montreal Impact, connecting with Williams via a free kick. The helper was Trapp’s second assist of 2019 regular-season. In 2019, Trapp has made 18 regular-season appearances (18 starts) while recording two assists. The midfielder has made 175 regular-season appearances (170 starts), providing 17 assists and recording two goals.
- David Accam recorded a goal in tonight’s home contest against the Montreal Impact. Accam’s goal came in the 46th minute when he connected on a cross from Pedro Santos. The forward’s goal marked his first tally with Crew SC since joining the Black & Gold on May 5. In 2019, Accam has made eight regular-season appearances (six starts) while registering one goal and providing one assist for Crew SC. To date, Accam has made 117 regular-season appearances (89 starts) registering 39 goals and 18 assists since joining MLS in 2015.
- Pedro Santos provided the assist on David Accam’s 46th-minute goal during tonight’s home contest against the Montreal Impact. The helper was Santos’ third assist of 2019 regular-season. In 2019, Santos has made 22 regular-season appearances (20 starts) while recording three assists. The midfielder has made 61 regular-season appearances (57 starts) providing 12 assists and recording six goals. Notably, the assist marked Santos’ third game-winning assist of the 2019 regular-season.
- Defender Waylon Francis recorded his 100th regular-season appearance (91 starts) for Crew SC in tonight’s contest against the Montreal Impact. Francis played 45 minutes, making two tackles, attempting two crosses, registering 30 touches and attempting 19 passes, while finishing with a passing percentage of 94.7. The defender originally played for Crew SC from 2014-2017 before rejoining the Black & Gold prior to the start of the 2019 season. In his 100 regular-season appearances, Francis has also recorded 18 assists for the Crew.
- With his start in tonight’s home match against the Montreal Impact, midfielder Artur reached his 75th regular-season appearance (68th start) for the Black & Gold. Artur played the entire 90 minutes, making three tackles, registering 82 touches, attempting 70 passes and finishing with a passing percentage of 91.4. The Brazilian midfielder joined the Club on loan from Brazilian First Division side Sao Paulo FC on February 13, 2017. Artur then joined the Crew on a permanent transfer on December 6, 2017.
- Goalkeeper Eloy Room recorded his first MLS and Crew SC regular-season appearance – as well as start – in tonight’s home contest against the Montreal Impact. Room joined the Crew on July 5, 2019. The goalkeeper marked the occasion by making one save against the Impact. Prior to joining the Black & Gold, Room played for PSV Eindhoven where he recorded 160 appearances (159 starts). At the international level, Room has earned 30 caps for the Curacao National Team, posting nine shutouts. Notably, Room is the first Curacaoan to play for Crew SC.
- Next up, Crew SC has a road contest against the New York Red Bulls at Red Bull Arena on Saturday, July 27 (7:30 p.m. ET / Fox Sports Ohio, FOX Sports GO / 97.1 The Fan and streaming online via the “Listen Live” button at 971TheFan.com / Spanish audio stream on ColumbusCrewSC.com).