Behind a brace from Pedro Santos, Columbus Crew SC (7-14-3, 24 pts.) defeated the New York Red Bulls (10-9-4, 34 pts.) 3-2 on Saturday, July 27 at Red Bull Arena.
The Black & Gold had an early opportunity in the 10th minute when Artur took a shot from the top of the box that pinged off the right post.
The Red Bulls struck first, however, in the 15th minute when Evan White headed home a cross from Marc Rzatkowski. Just a minute later, Crew SC responded when defender Alex Crognale served a long ball to forward Gyasi Zardes, who flicked it to midfielder Luis Argudo for the near-post finish as part of his first career MLS goal. Additionally, on Argudo's goal, Crognale and Zardes earned their first and second assists of the season, respectively.
To open up the second half, the Black & Gold took the lead in the 46th minute when Argudo laid off the ball to Santos, who ripped it into the top-left corner.
The Red Bulls leveled the game in the 63rd minute as Daniel Royer converted from the spot after Video Review rewarded the Red Bulls a penalty kick.
Crew SC scored the game-winner in the 83rd minute when Santos finished a deflection off of Red Bulls goalkeeper Luis Robles. With this goal, Santos earned his first career brace for the Black & Gold.
Up next, Crew SC heads west to San Jose, Calif. to take on the Earthquakes on Saturday, August 3 at Avaya Stadium at 10 p.m. ET.
Supporters can watch the match on SportsTime Ohio, stream on FOX Sports GO, or listen on 97.1 FM The Fan or www.ColumbusCrewSC.com (English & Spanish).
Goal Scoring Rundown:
RBNY - Evan White (Marc Rzatkowski), 15th minute: White heads a ball from Rzatkowski to the bottom-right corner. CLB 0, RBNY 1
CLB - Luis Argudo (Gyasi Zardes, Alex Crognale), 16th minute: Argudo finishes a flick from Zardes to the near post. CLB 1, RBNY 1
CLB - Pedro Santos (Luis Argudo), 46th minute: Santos strikes the ball into the top-left corner. CLB 2, RBNY 1
RBNY - Daniel Royer, 63rd minute: Royer finishes from the spot. CLB 2, RBNY 2
CLB - Pedro Santos, 84th minute: Santos finishes a deflected shot to the left post. CLB 3, RBNY 2 | FINAL
Columbus Crew SC
New York Red Bulls
- Midfielder Pedro Santos recorded his first MLS brace in tonight’s road contest against the New York Red Bulls. Santos’ first goal came in the 46th minute after receiving a pass from Luis Argudo. The midfielder made it a brace in the 84th minute after following up on a deflection off of Red Bulls goalkeeper Luis Robles. With the two strikes in today’s match, Santos now has seven goals in 2019. Notably, Santos has provided either a game-winning assist or game-winning goal in each of the Black & Gold’s previous two matches, bringing his season total to two game-winning goals and three game-winning assists.
- Luis Argudo’s goal in tonight’s road match against the New York Red Bulls was his first career goal since joining Major League Soccer in 2018. In 2019, Argudo has made 13 regular-season appearances (six starts) while registering one goal and two assists.
- Gyasi Zardes provided an assist in tonight’s road match against the New York Red Bulls. Zardes’s assist came in the 17th minute when he headed a ball to Luis Argudo after receiving a long ball from Alex Crognale. The forward’s assist marked his second assist for Crew SC since joining the Black & Gold ahead of the 2018 regular season. In 2019, Zardes has made 19 regular-season appearances (19 starts) while registering seven goals and two assists.
- During tonight’s contest, Alex Crognale tallied a secondary assist for Crew SC. Crognale’s helper came in the 17th minute, when he passed the ball to Gyasi Zardes, who headed it for Luis Argudo to put away. The assist was Crognale’s second since joining Crew SC ahead of the 2017 MLS season. In 2019, Crognale has made seven regular-season appearances (five starts), registering one assist. In all, Crognale has made 29 regular-season appearances (17 starts) and scored one goal to go with two assists for the Black & Gold.
- Following his 17th minute goal, Luis Argudo recorded his second assist of the 2019 regular-season in tonight’s road match against the New York Red Bulls. Argudo’s assist came in the 46th minute when he passed the ball to Pedro Santos’ to put away. In 2019, Argudo has made 13 regular-season appearances (six starts), while scoring one goal and providing two assists. To date, he has made 31 regular-season appearances (12 starts) scoring one goal and providing two assists.
- Hector Jimenez recorded a secondary assist for Crew SC in tonight’s road contest against the New York Red Bulls. Jimenez’s helper came in the 46th minute, when he passed the ball to Luis Argudo, who found Pedro Santos for the goal. The assist marked Jimenez’s second assist is as many games for the Black & Gold. In 2019, Jimenez has made 22 regular-season appearances (18 starts), scoring one goal and registering four assists. In all, Jimenez has made 124 regular-season appearances (109 starts) and scoring two goals to go with assists for the Black & Gold.
- With tonight’s win, Crew SC extends its undefeated record against the New York Red Bulls in regular-season action to five consecutive matches, with a record of 3-0-2 over that span. The streak began in 2017, when Crew SC defeated the Red Bulls 3-2 at MAPFRE Stadium (September 23).
- Next up, Crew SC has a road contest against the San Jose Earthquakes at Avaya Stadium on Saturday, August 3 (10:00 p.m. ET / SportsTime Ohio, FOX Sports GO / 97.1 The Fan and streaming online via the “Listen Live” button at 971TheFan.com / Spanish audio stream on ColumbusCrewSC.com).