A second-half goal from Gyasi Zardes helped Columbus Crew SC (7-14-4, 25 pts.) draw the San Jose Earthquakes (11-7-5, 38 pts.) 1-1 on Saturday, August 3 at Avaya Stadium.
Zardes had an opportunity in the 20th minute when his shot from a slotted ball from Luis Diaz, who made his first start for Crew SC, was deflected out of bounds.
In the 26th minute, midfielder Luis Argudo took a long-distance shot that went just wide of the net.
The Quakes broke the draw in the 41st minute when Magnus Eriksson converted from the penalty spot after the ball hit Harrison Afful on the arm inside the box.
To keep the scoreline at one, goalkeeper Eloy Room made a diving save in 59th minute.
Crew SC leveled the match in the 65th minute when Zardes headed a cross from Diaz to the far post. The goal marks Zardes' eighth goal of the season and Diaz's second assist of the year.
In second-half added time, Room made a series of saves to keep the match level, including a save on a Chris Wondolowski header.
Up next, Crew SC returns home to face FC Cincinnati on Saturday, August 10 at MAPFRE Stadium at 7:30 p.m. ET.
Supporters can watch the match on FOX Sports Ohio, stream on FOX Sports GO, or listen on 97.1 FM The Fan or www.ColumbusCrewSC.com (English & Spanish).
Goal Scoring Rundown:
SJ - Magnus Eriksson, 41st minute: Eriksson converts from the spot. CLB 0, SJ 1
CLB - Gyasi Zardes (Luis Diaz), 65th minute: Zardes heads a serve from Diaz to the far post. CLB 1, SJ 1 | FINAL
Columbus Crew SC
San Jose Earthquakes
|￣￣￣￣￣￣￣￣￣￣￣|— San Jose Earthquakes (@SJEarthquakes) August 4, 2019
We have some changes
to this thing we like to
call our starting XI graphic
\ (•◡•) /
| | pic.twitter.com/S63zZKl61R
- Forward Gyasi Zardes scored the equalizing goal for Crew SC in tonight’s 1-1 road draw against the San Jose Earthquakes. Zardes’ strike came in the 65th minute, when he headed in a cross from Luis Diaz, with the goal marking the forward’s eighth tally of the 2019 regular season. This year, Zardes has made 20 regular-season appearances (all starts), while registering two assists to go with his eight goals. Since joining Crew SC ahead of the 2018 MLS season, Zardes has made 52 regular-season appearances (all starts), scoring 26 goals and providing two assists.
- Luis Diaz made his first career start (fourth appearance) for Crew SC in tonight’s road contest against the San Jose Earthquakes. Diaz marked the occasion by providing the assist on Gyasi Zardes’ 65th-minute goal, when he sent in a cross from the right flank. This was the Costa Rican midfielder’s second assist of the 2019 regular-season. Notably, both of Diaz’s assists helped set up an equalizing goal, as the midfielder had previously provided the helper on Romario Williams’ 90th-minute equalizer in a 2-2 road draw against the Chicago Fire (July 17). Diaz joined Crew SC from Club Sport Herediano as a Young Designated Player on July 2, 2019.
- With his start in tonight’s contest, Luis Argudo has now made seven regular-season starts in 2019, one more start than his 2018 regular-season total (six). Argudo played 62 minutes in tonight’s road match against the San Jose Earthquakes, registering one shot, making two tackles and finishing with a passing accuracy percentage of 80.8. Since joining Crew SC ahead of the 2018 MLS season, Argudo has made 32 regular-season appearances (13 starts), registering one goal and two assists.
- Tonight’s draw marks the first time Crew SC has earned a point on the road against the San Jose Earthquakes in regular-season action since 2014, when the two sides played to a 1-1 draw (April 13). Additionally, the result extends the Crew’s unbeaten streak to four consecutive matches, with the Black & Gold posting a record of 2-0-2 in their last four regular-season matches.
- Next up, Crew SC faces FC Cincinnati in a home match at MAPFRE Stadium on Saturday, August 10 (7:30 p.m. ET / FOX Sports Ohio, FOX Sports GO / 97.1 The Fan and streaming online via the “Listen Live” button at 971TheFan.com / Spanish audio