*Note: This editorial was edited by ColumbusCrewSC.com and provided by MLSsoccer.com
Seattle Sounders' Raul Ruidiaz leveled late from the penalty spot, canceling out Gyasi Zardes' first-half goal as Seattle rallied to draw Columbus Crew SC (1-0-1, 4 pts.), 1-1, at CenturyLink Field Saturday night.
Zardes latched onto a sublime back-post delivery by Luis Diaz and tapped into the net to put Crew SC in front in the 33rd minute.
The Sounders thought they had the equalizer 20 minutes later when Jordan Morris received the ball at the touchline and cut inside before slipping a pass to a cutting Miguel Ibarra into the box. Ibarra finished inside the far post for what he thought was his first Sounders goal. But Marrufo waved the goal off for offside following Video Review.
In the second half, the Peruvian Ruidiaz buried his retaken penalty kick after Eloy Room, who dived to his right to save the first, was ruled to have been off his line following Video Review. Referee Jair Marrufo pointed back to the spot and Ruidiaz went the same way, putting his attempt in off Room's fingertips.
- Forward Gyasi Zardes scored his first goal of the 2020 MLS regular season during tonight’s road contest against Seattle Sounders FC. Zardes’ goal came in the 33rd minute, when he finished off a cross from Luis Diaz. In addition to his goal, Zardes finished the night with two shots (both on target). Since joining Crew SC ahead of the 2018 season, Zardes has scored 33 goals in 62 regular-season appearances (all starts).
- Midfielder Luis Diaz tallied his first assist of the 2020 MLS regular season in tonight’s road contest against Seattle Sounders FC. Diaz provided the helper on Gyasi Zardes’ 33rd minute goal, setting up the strike with a cross from the right flank after receiving a pass from Artur. Since joining Crew SC on July 2, 2019, Diaz has made 15 regular-season appearances (10 starts) while registering two goals and five assists.
- Midfielder Artur registered his first assist of the 2020 MLS regular season in tonight’s road contest, as he was given a secondary assist on Gyasi Zardes’ 33rd-minute goal. Artur played a ball to Luis Diaz, who then sent in a cross for Zardes to finish. This was Artur’s third regular-season assist since joining Crew SC ahead of the 2017 season. In addition to his helper, Artur finished the night with one shot and eight tackles – more tackles than any other player on the night.
- Defender Jonathan Mensah finished tonight’s match against Seattle Sounders FC with nine clearances – three more than any player for either team. In addition to his nine clearances, Mensah finished the match with 69 touches, 47 completed passes, one interception and four duels won.
- Midfielder Derrick Etienne Jr. made his regular-season debut for Crew SC in tonight’s match, coming in as a substitute for Luis Diaz in the 66th minute. Etienne joined Crew SC on February 4, 2020, after spending five seasons with the New York Red Bulls (2016-2019).
- With its result in tonight’s match, Crew SC brought its 2020 regular-season record to 1-0-1 (four points). Up next, Crew SC hosts Real Salt Lake at MAPFRE Stadium on Saturday, March 14 (5:00 p.m. ET / SportsTime Ohio, FOX Sports GO / 1460 ESPN and streaming online via the “Listen Live” button at 971TheFan.com / Spanish audio on ColumbusCrewSC.com).