Krisztian Nemeth came off the bench to score the decisive goal six minutes from time to lift the Columbus Crew to a 2-1 win and put the Philadelphia Union’s hopes of celebrating a first-ever Supporters Shield on hold Sunday at MAPFRE Stadium.
The winning goal came from a quick counter with Luis Diaz playing a perfect ball to the back post, where Nemeth slid in to score his first goal for the Crew since signing last month in his return to MLS.
GOAL | Nemeth scores first Crew goal, game-winner
Artur, who scored just twice in four seasons, struck for his second goal in the last four games to put Columbus in front on 37 minutes. The veteran Brazilian defensive midfielder slipped a low shot inside the far post, past a diving Joe Bendik, starting in place of injured regular starter Andre Blake.
GOAL | Artur drills it from deep vs. Philadelphia
Both teams exchanged quality chances in the opening 30 minutes of a match that had a playoff-type feel, with snow flurries, stiff winds and frigid temperatures at MAPFRE Stadium. Gyasi Zardes latched onto a Lucas Zelarayan service, but his diving header just outside the six-yard box skimmed off the crossbar in the 7th minute.
On the other end, Room did well to get a piece of Olivier Mbaizo’s attempt that he parried off the post and out for a Union corner kick after combining well with Elliott and Monteiro.
SAVE | Eloy Room shows why he is one of the best in MLS
Up next, it's a quick turnaround as Columbus heads to Orlando on Nov. 4 for the Club's penultimate match of the regular-season.
CREW SC MATCH NOTES
By Crew SC Communications
- Midfielder Artur scored the first goal of today’s home match against the Philadelphia Union. Artur’s goal came from a defender Harrison Afful pass in the 37th minute of the match, giving Crew SC a 1-0 lead. Notably, this was Artur’s second regular-season goal since joining Crew SC in 2017, with his first goal coming earlier this year against New York City FC at home (October 18).
- Forward Krisztian Nemeth scored the game-winning goal in today’s 2-1 victory over the Philadelphia Union. Nemeth’s 84th-minute goal, assisted by midfielder Luis Diaz, was notably his first regular-season goal as a member of the Black & Gold. The Hungarian forward joined Crew SC on October 5, 2020 and has since made three appearances (two starts at forward) for the Crew in the regular season.
- Defender Harrison Afful provided the assist on Artur’s 37th-minute goal in today’s contest at home against the Philadelphia Union. The helper was Afful’s second assist of the 2020 regular-season and his 16th since joining the Crew in 2015.
- Midfielder Luis Diaz provided the game-winning assist in today’s match, as he set up Nemeth’s 84th-minute goal by sending in a cross from the right. In 2020, Diaz has registered three helpers in 19 regular-season appearances.
- Crew SC is undefeated in its last six regular-season home matches against the Philadelphia Union, posting a record of 5-0-1 dating back to a 2017 match (July 22), while also registering five shutouts over that span.
- During today’s match at home against the Philadelphia Union, goalkeeper Eloy Room recorded a regular-season single-match high of eight saves. Room had previously recorded six saves in a single match three times: on the road at the Houston Dynamo (October 24), on the road at FC Cincinnati (August 25, 2019) and at home against Chicago Fire FC (August 31, 2019). Additionally, Room’s eight saves was the most saves made for a Crew goalkeeper in a single match against Philadelphia and is tied with Philadelphia goalkeeper Zac MacMath for most saves in a single match all-time in the series.
- Up next for Crew SC, the team travels to face Orlando City SC Wednesday, November 4 [7:30 p.m. ET / FOX Sports Ohio, FOX Sports GO App / 97.1 The Fan & 971TheFan.com (English), ColumbusCrewSC.com (Spanish)].